Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Lesson Learned

TO ANYONE WHO HAS KIDS- LISTEN UP!

I learned yesterday that the cutesy names I'd been trying to devise in answer to Emma's endless questions of "what's that?" as she points to private body parts is DEFINITELY not the way to go. I tend to shy away from the words penis and vagina because who wants their child to blurt that out during conversation?! Right?

Well, here's why you shouldn't be afraid to use and teach your child the grown up names for body parts. If there is ever a question of sexual abuse regarding your child and they do not use the proper terms ("he touched my vagina", etc) the social worker or sexual abuse person that interviews your child may be likely to dismiss the case. WHAT?! So if my child claims someone touched her tutu you're telling me it would be difficult to prosecute because she did not specifically say so and so touched my vagina?! The reasoning behind this is that a tutu or (insert your own cutesy name here) could refer to anything.

I'm very blessed that this wisdom did not come from personal experience and I wanted to share it with everyone else who has or is thinking about having kids. Don't let something terrible like this happen to your child and be powerless due to a technicality.

Say it loud and proud- boys have a penis and girls have a vagina! (This always reminds me of the scene in Kindergarten Cop starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Love that movie!)

Sooo, if you hear Emma spout these words out in casual conversation just go with it, ok? :)

3 comments:

dave and jenn said...

That's crazy! Good to know!

Mollie said...

Girl, never in my life would I have thought of this. Thank you so much for posting.

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Wow really?!?! That is so strange! I guess I better never tell anyone that someone touched my "wampus!" HA!