Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Renovation Superstar!

I totally need my own show on HGTV, but only if it involves laying tile. I'm super at that! Can you guess how we spent our rainy Memorial Day weekend?

Friday night we laid tile until about 2am; well, I should say I laid tile until 2am. Jeremy and I FINALLY found a way to work on projects together without killing each other-we don't work together! Simple huh? Jeremy is great at demo, but not so hot at anything that requires patience such as laying tile or grouting. So, I strapped on the knee pads and laid the tile Friday night while he made trips back and forth to the carport to cut the tile when needed. It worked perfectly because we were in separate rooms! We only had a few arguments when the tile didn't fit because we were blaming each other- he says I didn't measure right (totally not the case) and I say he didn't cut right!
Then Saturday night we finished grouting the floor. Again, I use the term "we" loosely. I had already started when Jeremy finally came in to help me. I left him to it while I mixed up more grout. I had literally been gone 5 minutes and when I came back he was sitting on the side of the tub holding his wrist.

"What's wrong Jeremy?"
"My wrist is hurting really bad. It's an arthritis like pain . . ."
Exasperated: "Ok, just move and let me finish."
"I really do want to help . . ." (In a if only there was something I could do but I'm in pain voice)
"Great! You can come behind me and wipe down the floor as I finish the sections!" Gotcha!

So every 20 minutes or so he would come in behind me and spend 5 minutes wiping down the section I just completed. What did he do the rest of the time? He set up my train set from the Jacksonville Business Expo in the living room floor and raced the locomotives around the track. Niiice. I couldn't decide if I wanted to kill him or laugh. (Watching me decorate the locomotive last week has really got him in the mood to pick up model railroading as a hobby, Lord help me.)In the end though it was much better that I did the tile and grouting. I'm waaay too much of a perfectionist and there's no way I could have let Jeremy do it without going behind him a million times and driving him nuts!

Here's our semi-finished product:



Shower walls-Ignore the mess-Cleanup has not happened yet.

Emma playing in the bathroom. She was so amazed by the new floor and lack of ANYTHING in the room that she kept wanting to play with her toys in there.

I will finally get to shower in my own house this Saturday night! Woo hoo! We still have to haul in the vanity and clean up, do some detail work, but the bulk of the work is finished! Yay! And we're still married! Yay!

1 comment:

dave and jenn said...

That looks awesome! And is it just me, or did Emma just sprout a whole lot of hair?